For the help in logistics and input the VERTIGO Organisation team would like to thank the "Instituto de Investigação em Vulcanologia e Avaliação de Riscos" (IVAR) in Azores & Pierre Delmelle from Université catholique de Louvain (UCL), Belgium.
The 4th VERTIGO Workshop will be held from Sunday 21st through Friday 26th May 2017 at the Hotel “Pedras do Mar” in Fenais da Luz on São Miguel island (Azores, Portugal).
This workshop’s topic is “The lifecycle of volcanic ash” or “Everything you always wanted to know about ash but were afraid to ask.” The scientific programme (3 days in total) will be complemented by a 2-days workshop (Sunday and Monday) on grant proposal writing (mandatory for all VERTIGO ESRs and external students) as well as by one field day (including a visit to the CIVISA monitoring room, sites of active degassing and outcrops concerning volcanic soil formation).
The workshop is open to external PhD and PostDoc students, please apply to us by sending an email with your CV and a letter of interest. The number of participants is limited for logistic reasons and will be handled on a "first-come, first-serve" basis. Participants registering for the entire week will have priority.
- André Avelar (Serviço Regional de Proteção Civil e Bombeiros dos Açores, PT)
- Peter Baxter (Department of Public Health and Primary Care, University of Cambridge, UK)
- Rita Carmo (Inst. de Investigação em Vulcanologia e Avaliação de Riscos, Ponta Delgada, Azores, PT)
- Paul Cole (University of Plymouth, UK)
- Arnau Folch (Barcelona Supercomputing Center (BSC), Spain)
- Damien Gaudin (Ludwig-Maximilians-Universität Munich, Germany)
- Larry Mastin (U.S. Geological Survey)
- Jeremy Phillips (STREVA Project, UK)
- Stephen Self (University of California, Berkeley, USA)
- Tom Sheldrake (Universitè de Genève, Switzerland)
- Fatima Viveiros (Inst. de Investigação em Vulcanologia e Avaliação de Riscos, Ponta Delgada, Azores, PT)